Built to inform

Sign up for the daily newsletters

No, Thank you

Purvanchal Expressway to be completed by 2020-end

There were 10,000 workers before the lockdown and currently 5,500 workers are at the sites

Uttar Pradesh government, Country’s longest expressway, Purvanchal Expressway, Covid-19 lockdown, Lucknow, Chand Sarai, Haidaria, Ghazipur district, EPC basis, Agricultural districts, Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Agra-Lucknow Expressway, Agra-Greater Noida Yamuna Expressway, Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority, UPEIDA, PNC Infratech, Gayatri Projects, GR Infra, Oriental Structural Engineering, Apco Infra, Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Azamgarh, Handloom, Food processing, Warehousing

The Uttar Pradesh government is pushing to complete the country’s longest expressway, Purvanchal Expressway by 2020-end, despite in delay by two months due to COVID-19 lockdown.

Works on 341 km long expressway project worth Rs 22,500 crore is moving at a pace with completion by 2020-end, months ahead of the official deadline of April 2021.

The six-lane expandable to eight lanes access-controlled expressway from Chand Sarai in Lucknow district to Haidaria in Ghazipur district, being built on an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) basis, will not only provide the nine agricultural districts of eastern Uttar Pradesh seamless connectivity to Lucknow, but also link them to National Capital Delhi via the 302 km Agra-Lucknow Expressway and Agra-Greater Noida Yamuna Expressway of 165 km.

There were 10,000 workers before the lockdown and currently 5,500 workers are at the sites. The Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) has asked the companies working on the eight packages to operate at full throttle and expedite the work. It is trying to get more labourers back to work. It is expected to have full workforce soon and if the monsoon is weak in 2020, the project can be completed by the end of 2020.

Over 80% of the earthwork has been completed and around 48% of the physical work on the project has been done. The remaining 52% of work will be completed within the targetted timeline by increasing the size of the workforce.

The eight packages have been awarded to PNC Infratech, Gayatri Projects, GR Infra, Oriental Structural Engineering and Apco Infra in July 2018.

The expressway will pass through Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Ambedkarnagar, Azamgarh, Mau and Ghazipur districts.

The project will boost agriculture as well as industrial and commercial activities, apart from enhancing the prospects for tourism in the state.

The expressway will also act as an industrial corridor for different manufacturing units, development nodes and agricultural centres of the region.

The expressway will also attract investment in the handloom, food processing, warehousing, dairy sectors, boosting the state’s growth.

Most Popular

Awards

Olympia Group announces to build up 1.1mn sq-ft greenfield it park in Guindy
The project will have a total investment of about Rs 750 crore

Conferences

Vital pre-monsoon building works resume in Maharashtra
The state government has permitted pre-monsoon work by BMC and other agencies

Latest Issue

June 2020
10 Jun 2020