Built to inform

Sign up for the daily newsletters

No, Thank you

MNRE shelves Atal Jyoti Yojana Scheme Phase-II

Due to COVID-19, the government has decided not to operate MPLADS for two years

Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Atal Jyoti Yojana Phase-II, AJAY Phase-II, Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme, MPLADS, Solar street lights, MNRE, Energy Efficiency Services

The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has announced the closure of the Atal Jyoti Yojana (AJAY) Phase-II due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Due to COVID-19, the government has decided not to operate Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) for two years -- 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Accordingly, the ministry has decided to close Phase-II of AJAY Scheme from 1 April 2020. Phase-II of AJAY solar scheme had a capital outlay of around Rs 800 crore and about 75% of that was supposed to get funded out of the MNRE budget allocation.

A total 39,568 ground installations of solar street lights were done under Phase-II scheme, according to MNRE data published on 29 February, 2020. The number of total solar LED street lights installed as on 27 April 2020 stood at 1,35,677.

Under Phase-II of AJAY Scheme, solar street lights with LED capacity of 12 watt were being installed in parliamentary constituencies covered under the Scheme with 75% of the cost provided through MNRE budget and the remaining 25% cost from MPLADS.

AJAY Phase-II was launched by the ministry on 18 April 2018, which was initially valid for a period of one year. MNRE had later extended the implementation of the scheme till 31 March 2021. Energy Efficiency Services (EESL) was the implementing agency for the scheme.

Most Popular

Awards

Olympia Group announces to build up 1.1mn sq-ft greenfield it park in Guindy
The project will have a total investment of about Rs 750 crore

Conferences

Vital pre-monsoon building works resume in Maharashtra
The state government has permitted pre-monsoon work by BMC and other agencies

Latest Issue

June 2020
10 Jun 2020