Built to inform

Sign up for the daily newsletters

No, Thank you

E-tolling infrastructure set up at 75% of national highways

The government plans to make electronic tolling mandatory in a bid to reduce congestion at toll plazas

Electronic toll collection, NHAI, Road transport and highways ministry, FASTag lanes, RFID, Toll plazas, Build-operate-transfer

Moving swiftly on the government’s plan to switch to electronic toll collection on national highways from December 1, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has equipped nearly 75% of national highways with e-tolling infrastructure.

The road transport and highways ministry, in a letter sent to the NHAI, had asked for conversion of all toll lanes at all national highways to ‘FASTag lanes’, a move that will make travel through toll plazas seamless and remove congestion.

Introduced in 2014 by the government, the RFID-based FASTag affixed on the windscreen of vehicles allows for direct payment of fee from a prepaid or savings account linked to it and enables vehicles to drive through toll plazas without stopping for transactions.

The government plans to make electronic tolling mandatory in a bid to reduce congestion at toll plazas.

“About 75% of toll plazas already have fully functional infrastructure (for e-tolling). We are in the process of setting it up in the remaining 20-25% plazas,” said an official.

In the case of national highways functioning on build-operate-transfer model, the concessionaires have been asked to make infrastructure for electronic tolling available.

Most Popular

Awards

Olympia Group announces to build up 1.1mn sq-ft greenfield it park in Guindy
The project will have a total investment of about Rs 750 crore

Conferences

Vital pre-monsoon building works resume in Maharashtra
The state government has permitted pre-monsoon work by BMC and other agencies

Latest Issue

June 2020
10 Jun 2020