Coal production to be increased beyond set target
While announcing his ministry’s 100 day action plan, Sriprakash Jaiswal, Minister of State for Coal (IC) said that it is imperative to increase coal production beyond the set target. He acknowledged that it is not possible to increase production during monsoons and said that the period will be utilised in making action plans for augmenting production from different projects in the coal subsidiaries.
The Minister will personally visit Coal Companies to discuss strategies for augmenting coal production so that once the monsoons are over efforts shall be initiated in right earnest to meet the enhanced targets.
The ministry’s plan of action will include the following points:
1. Commencement of ‘Forward e-auction’ for actual consumers for meeting their long term requirement.
2. Publishing guidelines for Mine Closure for adoption by coal companies.
3. Commissioning of First Unit (125 MW) of the Barsingsar Mine-cum-Thermal Power project of NLC in Rajasthan.
4. Securing CCEA approval for setting up of Empowered Committee of Secretaries to consider the proposals of Coal India Ltd for investment abroad which are beyond its financial powers of Rs.1000 crore.
5. Publishing guidelines for Underground Coal gasification projects.
6. Satellite imagery based reports on land restoration/reclamation – posting on website (for 35 projects).