1. Home
  2. >

Built to inform

Sign up for the daily newsletters

No, Thank you

Cabinet nod for Rs1357.71 cr project in Delhi

The Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure has approved the project proposal for Laying Interceptor Sewer along Najafgarh, Supplementary and Shahdara Drain
for Abatement of Pollution in Yamuna River at a cost of Rs1357.71 crore.


The project will be funded under JNNURM as per the funding pattern of Government of India [Additional Central Assistance (ACA)] – 35%, Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) -15%, Delhi Jal Board (DJB) -50%.
According to a statement released by the Urban Development Ministry, Delhi’s population has grown at a phenomenal rate of 47% per decade (as against the national average of 21%), but planning and provisioning of infrastructure has not kept pace with the increase in population, resulting in rural villages, shanties and colonies without adequate sewerage infrastructure.
Only around 54% of the population is connected to this sewerage network, leaving 46% of the population uncovered. The colonies, villages and Jhuggi Jhopri (JJ) clusters without sewerage facilities are mainly in outer Delhi areas and the wastewater generated is presently flowing into river Yamuna through 18 drains and sub-drains.
Of these 18 drains, the 3 major drains of Najafgarh, Supplementary and Shahadara contribute maximum pollution load. About 1764 MLD of wastewater flows through 190 sub-drains into these 3 major drains and then in the Yamuna river, the statement said.
To tackle the pollution level in river Yamuna, DJB has envisaged the concept of Interceptor Sewers for tapping the sub-drains falling into Najafgarh,
Supplementary & Shahdara drains. In the long run, it is envisaged that these interceptor sewers shall act as trunk sewers, once the sewers are laid in
unsewered areas.

Most Popular

Awards

Olympia Group announces to build up 1.1mn sq-ft greenfield it park in Guindy
The project will have a total investment of about Rs 750 crore

Conferences

Vital pre-monsoon building works resume in Maharashtra
The state government has permitted pre-monsoon work by BMC and other agencies

Latest Issue

June 2020
10 Jun 2020