The joy of cutting
You believe that Chennai has a tremendous appetite for formats like the BSS store. Could you explain?
Chennai is experiencing a construction boom because of an improving economy, relatively lower living costs when compared to other major cities in India, a burgeoning middle-class, more public-private partnerships and a responsive government. Fuelling this growth is a spate of construction activity, happening to fulfill the needs of the industry and the common man. It was only fitting that Bosch recognises this trend and puts together a solution that would meet this demand. The concept of Bosch System Specialist (BSS) has been an enormous success as it provides the customer sales and service under a single roof. It acts as a one-stop shop for construction solutions with its comprehensive range of power tools, accessories, fixing systems and expert counsel. Consumers will be privy to a riveting experience as the store provides them with valuable demonstrations and a hands-on experience of tools, allowing them to make informed buying decisions.
There’s constant upgradation and innovation happening in the power tools industry. What are some of the latest from Bosch India?
As a company committed to innovation in technology and superior quality, we work tirelessly to ensure our products are in sync with the latest technological trends.
• Our lithium-powered cordless tool range and the laser technology powered measuring tools are examples of our innovative prowess. The laser technology powered tools are automated, highly accurate and display results much more rapidly than the manual measuring tools. The range of top-quality, durable rotary hammers we developed range from two kilograms to 11 kilograms and are capable of penetrating the toughest materials. The cold-cut saws easily slice through metal surfaces without sparks providing a cold cut post which the metal can be used immediately.
• The laser distance measuring devices are small machines which accurately measure the distance between two points using laser technology. These also measure area and volume of space as well as heights up to 250m.
• The GLM 100, syncs via Bluetooth to a cell phone and is an application which may be used to measure dimensions of sites, take photographs and provides an immediate blueprint which can be shared on multiple platforms.
• Rotation levellers, line levellers and point levellers are devices to measure levels on different walls for fixing. When the machine is switched on, a visible laser grid appears so the alignment for fixing, painting, tiling or making partitions is made simple.
• Measuring inclinations, remote controlled products exclusive to Bosch measure surface inclination and are used to fix pipes or staircase railings. The advantage of these is that are quicker and more accurate to record the angles of inclination when compared to spirit levels which indicate the direction of inclination via a bubble.
• Detectors use ultra-sound technology to detect the presence of any magnetic and non-magnetic metals, power cables, wooden substructures or even plastic pipes prior to any drilling. Additionally, these can be used to gauge the depth and composition of such structures within the walls. There’s an ugly side to this industry. The unorganised sector.
How are the big players tackling this problem?
Most of them it’s cost vs quality issue. We are trying to educate people about the importance of quality and safety that Bosch PT offers. Safety and technology features like vibration control, Kickback Stop, Lithium ion Technology & Turbo Power are the features available only in Bosch PT, making the tools more powerful & safer to use. Most operators lack awareness about the proper use of power tools and the various operations they can perform.
Do you have a system to train such operators and hone their skills?
All Bosch products come with a detailed instruction manual directing users on safe and proper use so health and safety are not compromised and subsequent disasters are averted. In addition, we have a training centre in Bangalore where all artisans and customers from construction companies get a hands-on training on how to use our power tools.
This industry is known to introduce new products at shorter intervals so as to get an edge over competitors. This can only happen because this sector has a strong R&D.
Could you brief us about your R&D?
Every year Bosch Power Tools launches more than 100 new tools in the professional segment. The surge in popularity and demand for cordless tools in particular has encouraged Bosch to drive the growth of the segment within the power tools business. We have launched the first entry level product from the cordless tool range this year – a professional driver/drill – GSR 1080 2 LI Professional across India. The tool is slated to be the answer to common challenges of battery life and cost, while embodying a compact design, enabling high performance and ensuring high level of user safety. It has been conceptualized to simplify the process of drilling and can be deployed anywhere, anytime, without having to worry about electric supply and limited reach among other things.
Could you tell us about some of the customer support services that your company offers?
We have a toll-free service hotline number that addresses all customer queries. In case of service-related queries, the service team provides assistance to customers. Across India, we have the largest dealer and service network – more than 200 services centres and after sales service is a USP which influences customer decisions to buy Bosch tools.
Also a tool bought in one state can be serviced anywhere in the country. Our service centers are geared to repair the tool in the shortest possible time. Nearly 90% of the repairs are completed within 48 hours.